Although most children are toilet trained when they’re 3 or 4 years old, there is no exactly right time to begin toilet training; you should start when your child is ready.
When to start potty training ?So how do I know when my child is ready?
We’re glad you asked. At Children’s Hospital Boston, we’ve got answers for you.
The following signs may indicate that your child is ready to begin toilet training.
Your child should be able to :
- walk well in order to get to the potty chair
- tell you when he needs to go to the potty
- control the muscles used for going to the potty
- asks to have his diaper changed or tells you a bowel movement or urine is forthcoming
- shows discomfort when the diaper is wet or dirty
- enjoys copying what parents or older children do
- follows you into the bathroom and see how the toilet is used
- wants to do things (like going to the potty) to make parents happy or to get praise
- has dry diapers for at least two hours during the day or is dry after naps or overnight
How Children’s Hospital Boston approaches toilet training?
Some kids do have more trouble than others with toilet training. If your child has a medical condition that’s making it harder for her to master toilet training, we can help.
We usually see children and their parents individually at first and most children quickly master using the toilet without anxiety. For those who continue to have trouble, we have developed Toilet School, an educational program for both parents and children to help them with difficult toilet training :
- It’s a six-week program in which six kids — mostly 4-, 5- and 6-year-olds — come to class once a week for an hour to an hour and a half.
- Parents attend a separate class where they learn behavioral techniques designed to help their children master toilet use.
- By graduation time in the sixth week, about 60 percent of the kids have successfully had a bowel movement on the toilet. The ones who haven’t get follow-up visits until they’re successful.
If you want to decide quickly program toilet training children for 3 days or less and have a very fast likely to succeed, you can just come in and buy a guide book of expert special toilet training your child in the city.
Some parents have to figure out how fast your child for toilet training, toilet training children for 3 days will give you more insight into the program and follow every guide greatly accelerate the process of toilet training your child.